Skip to main content

Reflection on Games

Today I have seen many games from many people, some games only one person working on them while others had over 12 people. There are some notable games I really enjoyed from what I've seen. 

Firstly there is The Alien twine game, I really liked how it was a simple text based game but what really made it for me was the interesting background images used, the fact you have multiple paths, you can choose your own name and the writing was rather witty and lighthearted. This gave the game a personal experience and also something fun, the customisable name can lead to some funny moments. The fact it was made from scratch really added to it as it shows there was effort and care behind it.

There was another twine game based in a coffee shop that was rather fun. Like the alien twine game it has funny and interesting writing that keeps you engaged and the multiple paths add more depth. While its only sexy based, you feel like you're experiencing the events he barista goes through. The background images are decent and suit the tone and setting. This and the alien twine game are examples that simple is sometimes better and that putting in effort and care can make a fun interesting experience.

Secondly is the Farm Learning game, this game was simple but the use of animations, bright colours, well used sound effects and it functioned really well. The game really suits the tone it sets and is rather inviting, it suits its target demographic really well with little missions that encourage learning but through a fun gaming experience thats easy to pick up and play. While it may not suit my demographic or age, it has a lot of thought and effort put into it and was made from scratch.

Another Notable game was the Racing game, while this concept has been done before it's still a fun game and doesn't detract from the effort put behind it. It has interesting, colourful visuals, great SFX, background music and animations. Something I could see people play on their mobiles.

There was some unfinished games that had some great effort behind them and they showed care and promise but certain things held them back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction by Nate

Hello, I'm Nathan, a second-year student at ITB. I'm 20 years old and from Cavan. This blog post is about me and hobbies, aspirations etc. If you're reading this, then I'm surprised you want to go through such torture. First of all, I really enjoyed CDM year 1. It was a great experience and felt it was fun and got to meet great people and do interesting things. I still can't get over the fact I'm in college or I even made it to the second year. Thought I would've had a mental breakdown at this point When doing the semester last year, I really enjoyed Storytelling and narrative. I find it fascinating to sit down and talk about films, I'm a bit of a movie buff so I did enjoy breaking them down and even tell a story or two. Honestly my biggest accomplishment last semester was actually getting through to second year and hell, even surviving it knowing me. My goals for this module is to plan out and hopefully make a small film for our group project as its

Game Vision Statement

Megaman style gameplay link:  Link to image The genre of game I was thinking of doing was a retro style platformer in the same vein as Mario or Mega Man. What I mean by that is the game will be a side-scroller with enemies and possibly bosses at the end, finding collectables and use power-ups. The gameplay will take a healthy mix of Mario and Mega Man. The gameplay will take the style of attacking and powerups and consumables like Mega Man with the simplistic and casual fun Mario provides. It's challenging but not annoying or frustrating to the point of forcing the player to quit.

Final GDD

This blog post is about my final GDD for my game. This will help me plan out my game and know what I need to implement it. Here is the link to my  GDD on Dundoc