Skip to main content

Unity free tutorials week 9

This week, again we had to proceed with more unity tutorials to help progress with creating the game on unity. This week im still following Jimmy Vegas' unity tutorials. Specifically, the platformer tutorial series he provides on his youtube channel, which as I have said in the past tutorial blog posts, this benefits me as I am currently creating a simple platform game.

Tutorial Sky box and Sound FX
For this unity tutorial, it exactly does as it says on the tin. The video in question helps to go through how to implement these features. For the skybox, we import assets we want to create the sky. This part shows how to add textures onto the skybox (or backdrop) to make the game look more visually interesting and tie into the look and theme of your game. Then the tutorial also goes through how to implement sound effects into the game, the specific sound effect is picking up a gem in game. I find this tutorial decent to follow, I do find myself pausing and rewinding back through a section Im confused or unsure about and it does take two or maybe 3 times to fully get the process down and noted. Other than that the tutorial was helpful.

Tutorial Time and Scoring system
In this tutorial, the aims are as obvious as the last, for this part, the tutorial shows us how to create a scoring system and time system. For me personally, I don't want a time system in my final game as I feel it's needless, the point of my prototype is for a platformer that you can pick up and play at your own leisurely pace. When working on the tutorial, a lot of coding had to be done to ensure this is implemented, the tutorial also explains how to link collecting gems to increase the score which is perfect. I didn't mind this one either but out of the two tutorials, I felt this one was more boring and slower due to the coding that needed to be done for it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction by Nate

Hello, I'm Nathan, a second-year student at ITB. I'm 20 years old and from Cavan. This blog post is about me and hobbies, aspirations etc. If you're reading this, then I'm surprised you want to go through such torture. First of all, I really enjoyed CDM year 1. It was a great experience and felt it was fun and got to meet great people and do interesting things. I still can't get over the fact I'm in college or I even made it to the second year. Thought I would've had a mental breakdown at this point When doing the semester last year, I really enjoyed Storytelling and narrative. I find it fascinating to sit down and talk about films, I'm a bit of a movie buff so I did enjoy breaking them down and even tell a story or two. Honestly my biggest accomplishment last semester was actually getting through to second year and hell, even surviving it knowing me. My goals for this module is to plan out and hopefully make a small film for our group project as its

Game Vision Statement

Megaman style gameplay link:  Link to image The genre of game I was thinking of doing was a retro style platformer in the same vein as Mario or Mega Man. What I mean by that is the game will be a side-scroller with enemies and possibly bosses at the end, finding collectables and use power-ups. The gameplay will take a healthy mix of Mario and Mega Man. The gameplay will take the style of attacking and powerups and consumables like Mega Man with the simplistic and casual fun Mario provides. It's challenging but not annoying or frustrating to the point of forcing the player to quit.

Final GDD

This blog post is about my final GDD for my game. This will help me plan out my game and know what I need to implement it. Here is the link to my  GDD on Dundoc