Skip to main content

Game Idea Research

A collection of different platformers I took inspiration from.
I have decided on a game idea from the many I thought up of in last weeks blog post and the idea I have chosen is.

A classic platformer, while yes some might say its overdone, I love these kinds of fun and easy to pick up and play games, they are simplistic but charming and fun. There will be 3 mechanics that I have thought about implementing into the game. The game will have a simple story, and charming yet again simple graphics and art style. The key word for this game is simple as I want to make it easy to pick up and play but also be fun and not a chore to play either.

The story is about a lone wanderer who has to travel through and discover many places, along his way he has to traverse dangerous perils and collect some artefacts and defeat a villain who, if not stopped could be dangerous.

1. The health bar and a checkpoint system:  The first and most obvious mechanic in games will be the player's health and also a checkpoint system. I feel these go hand in hand. Many platformers are one hit kills and lives based but I think checkpoints and having a health bar with unlimited lives is a more interesting idea. Its less infuriating but makes the game more casual. I took inspiration from Mario oddessy, no lives and a small health bar but when the player dies, still punish them but not as severely or to a point, it will annoy and alienate the player and start them off at a checkpoint than restating the level as well.

2: Inventory: Another idea I had was an inventory, something simple and not too outlandish. The idea for this inventory is power-ups, weapons to use but they are only one-time use and can be purchased during each level with the currency you collect in the game.

3: In-game store and currency: As mentioned in the second idea. I was thinking of implementing a store and in-game currency that can be collected in the game. Maybe finding little relics or items and cashing them in for coins and also collecting coins to buy items and health regains will help. The store is available between levels and the items will be lost if the player dies in the level etc.


Comments

  1. Hey Nathan thanks for commenting on my blog. I have to say I'm quite interested in how your going to make this game and how simple your going to make it. The mechanism sound so cool and I can't wait to play it. I love mario but I haven't played oddessy yet so I can't really comments on that but I want to play it now. Keep up the good work and again I can't wait to play it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nathan, I love Mario so I would happily play your game! You can't go wrong with a Mario inspired game. Who doesn't get enjoyment out of playing that game?! it looks like you have your idea well thought out. I like the idea of the inventory. This will come in handy for the player! Good luck with the rest of your development!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction by Nate

Hello, I'm Nathan, a second-year student at ITB. I'm 20 years old and from Cavan. This blog post is about me and hobbies, aspirations etc. If you're reading this, then I'm surprised you want to go through such torture. First of all, I really enjoyed CDM year 1. It was a great experience and felt it was fun and got to meet great people and do interesting things. I still can't get over the fact I'm in college or I even made it to the second year. Thought I would've had a mental breakdown at this point When doing the semester last year, I really enjoyed Storytelling and narrative. I find it fascinating to sit down and talk about films, I'm a bit of a movie buff so I did enjoy breaking them down and even tell a story or two. Honestly my biggest accomplishment last semester was actually getting through to second year and hell, even surviving it knowing me. My goals for this module is to plan out and hopefully make a small film for our group project as its

Game Vision Statement

Megaman style gameplay link:  Link to image The genre of game I was thinking of doing was a retro style platformer in the same vein as Mario or Mega Man. What I mean by that is the game will be a side-scroller with enemies and possibly bosses at the end, finding collectables and use power-ups. The gameplay will take a healthy mix of Mario and Mega Man. The gameplay will take the style of attacking and powerups and consumables like Mega Man with the simplistic and casual fun Mario provides. It's challenging but not annoying or frustrating to the point of forcing the player to quit.

Final GDD

This blog post is about my final GDD for my game. This will help me plan out my game and know what I need to implement it. Here is the link to my  GDD on Dundoc